Separation and Family Law

Separation and Family Law

When a relationship ends the first step is usually separation. If you are thinking about separation call us for advice on the sensible legal steps you should take. Whether it’s a marriage or a de-facto relationship the first step usually involves one person deciding they want the relationship to end. This is often the beginning of a long process and some formal steps should be taken even at this early stage. The exact date of the end of a relationship can have significant effect on the date you can become divorced, and how child related, property and financial matters are dealt with.

Many couples will have a trial separation where they try to work through their problems.  whilst others have already decided the relationship is over and simply need to communicate that to the other person. It doesn’t matter what the reason, and it doesn’t matter who is or is not at fault, the law acts in the same way.

Separation and Family Law

Separation and Family Law – never an easy time

Separation and Family Law. The first steps are to document what’s happening, and to know the law and your rights.

The first step we recommend is to formally document the end of the relationship, preferably in writing such as by letter, text message or email to the other party. Remember to keep a copy. If there are reasons why this is not practical, document those reasons and the situation as you see it. If you engage us at this early stage, you can send us emails that record each step you take. Our incoming emails automatically have a date stamp. Alternatively, you can arrange to write out a statement and have this record formally witnessed, such as by a Justice of the Peace (JP) – noting that a JP only witnesses your signature and does not read the document.

The reason this step is important is that separations in Australia are not formally registered and can therefore be disputed – so the more evidence you collect and retain the better. If you move out of your shared home then documents such as bills and leases showing your new address, are all potential evidence. Even text messages can be saved and used in evidence – but remember that works both ways. We strongly advise that you do not use email or text messages to exhibit anger, frustration, or retaliation as it can all be used as potential evidence against you.

Separation and Family Law. Timing.

Keeping records is also important because a lot of issues are dependent on timing. For example, when you can file for divorce (a 12 month separation is required before signing and then filing your application), and whether there is an eligibility for a property settlement (a de-facto relationship must generally have been for 2 years or longer and proceedings cannot generally be commenced* more than 2 years after separation).

We recently acted in a case where a party received a gambling windfall after separation, however the date of separation was disputed and the other party claimed the windfall was a result of family money spent during the relationship. The date of separation can therefore be critical. The same applies to spending on a credit card: Would you like to be liable for your spouse’s unapproved spending on a joint credit card after an informal separation?

We recommend you talk to us so as soon as possible to make sure you get the best advice, and take the right steps, to minimise some of these risks, as exceptions can apply*.

A lot people don’t know that you can be separated but still live in the same house. This is called “separation under one roof”. To be able to claim this, there are some steps you need to take, and you must be able to prove them. Continuing as usual but just refraining from sexual relations is not enough. Some of the things taken into account when determining the time a separation was in effect in the same property are whether you slept in separate rooms, whether you cooked and washed for each other, whether your financial affairs are separated, whether you continue with a sexual relationship, and whether or not you went public with the separation. Sometimes, in the particular circumstances of each case, a mix of these factors will result in a finding of separation under one roofadvice and to get the separation documented through formal correspondence. The other party does not need to be in agreement with the separation, but you need to make sure your records are accurate and beyond doubt.

Talk to us as soon as possible to make sure you get the best advice. Call for an appointment on 02 6223 2400 or send us an email through our contact page and we will get right back to you.

For more information visit the Family Court of Australia website.

NSW Law Society Accredited Specialist Logo
Logo ACT Law Society Logo
Logo NSW Law Society
Logo Women Lawyers Association of ACT 200
Collaborrative Practice Canberra
Womens Legal Centre ACT
Family Law Section Law Council Logo x