By Sharla Stevens
Rosie Batty, 2015 Australian of the Year, lost her son in 2014 when he was beaten to death by his father. Since then she has fought to raise awareness of and to end domestic violence.
Ms Batty has created a “Justice for Kids” petition which outlines a five step plan proposing for courts take into account domestic violence history in order to better protect children from domestic violence perpetrators. The steps involve:
- Develop a specialist response for domestic violence cases;
- Supporting those who are most at risk of future violence;
- Intervening early and provide effective legal help;
- Supporting women and children to financially recover; and
- Strengthening understanding of all family law professionals on family violence.
More than 20,000 Australian have signed the petition so far. Ms Batty handed it to the Liberal Minister for Women, Michaelia Cash, Labor Senator, Claire Moore and Greens leader Richard Di Natale.
If you need legal assistance in relation to a domestic violence matter contact our Principal, Cristina Huesch, or one of our Solicitors Sharla Stevens or Angela Li for advice on (02) 6223 2400.